Two Languages + One Child = Infinite Possibilities
Dual Language Immersion is a unique educational program offered in Franklin-McKinley School District (FMSD) that builds student bilingualism and biliteracy in English and in Vietnamese. The Dual Language Immersion Program integrates native English speaking and English language learning Vietnamese speaking students in the same classroom. The teacher provides academic instruction through two languages, one of which is the primary language of each group (Vietnamese and English). Students continue to learn standards-based content while they become fluent in two languages; linguistically and academically. Children must be of Kindergarten age in the Fall of 2019 to participate. Families do not need to live within the Franklin-McKinley School District boundaries to participate.
The goals of the program include:
- Academic achievement in English and Vietnamese
- Language skills in English and Vietnamese for students who speak Vietnamese AND for students who speak English and wish to learn Vietnamese as a second language.
- Multicultural understanding
Benefits of Dual Language Immersion
- Achieve high academic achievement in two languages
- Speak fluently in two languages
- Be equipped with skills to succeed in a global economy
- Foster cross-cultural competency
- Gain a competitive edge for college, scholarships, and career opportunities
- Build leadership and self-confidence
- Develop strong school and family connections
Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program Design Team
Between December 2018 and Summer 2019, Franklin-McKinley School District will have a design team, consisting of multiple stakeholders, coming together periodically to support the launch of the new Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program. Below are the agendas for these meetings.