Dual Language Immersion is a unique educational program offered in Franklin-McKinley School District (FMSD) that builds student bilingualism and biliteracy in two languages. In Franklin-McKinley School District we offer:
- Spanish Dual Language Immersion
- Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion
Dual Language Immersion Programs integrate native English speaking and target language learners (i.e. Vietnamese or Spanish speaking students) in the same classroom. The teacher provides academic instruction through two languages, one of which is the primary language of each group. Students continue to learn standards-based content while they become fluent in two languages; linguistically and academically.
Both Spanish and Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Programs are hosting information meetings for families interested in enrolling their children for the Fall of 2021. Children must be of Kindergarten age in the Fall of 2021 to participate. Families do not need to live within the Franklin-McKinley School District boundaries to participate.
The goals of each program include:
- Academic achievement in English and Spanish or Vietnamese
- Language skills in English and Vietnamese for students who speak Vietnamese AND for students who speak English and wish to learn Vietnamese as a second language.
- Language skills in English and Spanish for students who speak Spanish AND for students who speak English and wish to learn Spanish as a second language.
- Multicultural understanding
Benefits of Dual Language Immersion
- Achieve high academic achievement in two languages
- Speak fluently in two languages
- Be equipped with skills to succeed in a global economy
- Foster cross-cultural competency
- Gain a competitive edge for college, scholarships, and career opportunities
- Build leadership and self-confidence
- Develop strong school and family connections
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Vietnamese Dual Language Program located?
Windmill Springs School (2880 Aetna Way, San Jose, CA), a Transitional Kindergarten to 8th grade school. Learn more about Windmill Springs School here.
Where is the Spanish Dual Language Program located?
Jeanne R. Meadows Elementary (1250 Taper Lane, San Jose, CA), a Transitional Kindergarten to 6th grade school. Learn more about Meadows here.
Who can participate?
Each program will be enrolling children who will be entering Kindergarten in the Fall of 2021. Children must turn 5 on or before September 1, 2021 to be eligible.
Do you have to live within the Franklin-McKinley School District area to enroll your child?
No. Children do not need to live within the Franklin-McKinley School District boundaries to participate. Priority will be given to children living within the District boundaries. However, families with children who live outside the District boundaries can submit a transfer request with their District of residence to enroll their child in this program.
Dual Language Program on Asian Pacific America with Robert Handa
Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program Brochures
Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program Brochures