Every child should grow up healthy and ready for school. Transitional Kindergarten (TK) gives our youngest students a head start in instruction and provides them with an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs.
TK is offered for free and is the first of a two-year kindergarten experience for children turning 5 years old between September 2, 2017, and December 2, 2017.
Enroll your child in TK today by either:
- Visiting your local school. Check the School Locator to verify the elementary school attendance area for your address and to ensure TK is offered there.
- Visiting the Child, Welfare and Attendance Office located at the District Service Center (645 Wool Creek Drive, San Jose, CA 95112)
Why TK for Your Child?
You want the best for your children. Why not set them up for success from the start? TK is an extra year of schooling for children who are not eligible for kindergarten (children must turn 5 prior to September 1 to enroll in kindergarten). TK ensures our youngest learners build skills and experiences they need to be successful in kindergarten while giving them an opportunity to learn academically through meaningful play. TK helps students improve self-confidence, form better relationships with other children and adults, and achieve greater success in school and life. In fact, students who participate in TK are more likely to graduate from college than those who do not.
Determine Your Child’s TK Eligibility
Our Franklin-McKinley School Board is incredibly progressive and has expanded our TK Program to include children who turn 5 by May 31, 2018 on a space available basis. Children who turn 5 between September 2 and December 2, 2017 are eligible for priority enrollment in TK. Franklin-McKinley School District also offers TK when space is available (TK Waitlist) based on developmental readiness and the following age criteria:
- Students whose fifth birthday lies between December 3 and January 2 in the current school year, will be considered first.
- Students whose fifth birthday lies between January 3 and January 31 in the current school year will be considered second.
- Students whose fifth birthday lies between February 1 and May 31 in the current school year will be considered third.
Eligible children with a completed enrollment packet may be placed on the TK Waitlist by contacting the Early Learning Department at (408) 283-6039.
TK is available at no cost to families.
TK enrollment at Franklin-McKinley School District requires the following:
- Proof of Age: Birth/Baptismal Certificate/Passport/Military ID
- Proof of Required Immunizations:
- Polio (4 Series)
- Pertussis (DTP, DTaP): 5 Series
- Mumps and Rubella (MMR): 2 Series of each
- Hepatitis B (HepB): 3 Series
- Varicella (Chicken pox): 1 Dose
- TB Test (PPD): Must be given and read with 18 months prior to entry of kindergarten (after March 2014). A complete record of date given, date read, and results.
- Proof of Residence: PG&E bill, rental/lease agreement, driver’s license, etc.
- Physical and Dental Examination: Must be given starting March 2014, and the verification of exam must be signed, stamped, and dated by the doctor or clinic.
- Guardianship Verification: If your student is not residing with either parent, court documentation or a public notarized verification for guardianship is required.
Enroll Your Child In TK
Set your children up for success in school and life by enrolling them in TK. Enrollment opens on February 1 for the upcoming school year. You can enroll your child three easy steps:
- Check the School Locator to verify the elementary school attendance area for your address and to ensure TK is offered there.
- Visit your local school and have the required documents with you to enroll your child. You may also visit the Child, Welfare and Attendance Office located at the District Service Center (645 Wool Creek Drive, San Jose, CA 95112) to enroll your child.
- Begin enrollment and ask the School Secretary any questions to assist you as you complete the process.
Ready 4K Text Resource for Parents
All parents want to prepare their children for kindergarten but many run out of ideas. Ready4K! can help! This educational tool provides text messages that include FUN FACTS and EASY TIPS which are scientifically proven to help children do better in school. Each week during the school year, parents receive three text messages about important kindergarten readiness skills.
To sign up for Ready4K!, text “Ready4KFM” to 313131 (“Ready4KFMESP” para Español)
Early Learning at Franklin-McKinley
At Franklin-McKinley School District, we believe students deserve a high quality early learning experience from birth. For more information or questions, contact Sandra Mendoza, Early Learning Liaison, at 408-283-6039.
Starting Smart and Strong
Funded by the Packard Foundation, and made possible by partnerships throughout our community, Starting Smart and Strong is our shared, long-term commitment to ensure that every child in San Jose grows up healthy and ready for kindergarten. Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is one example of our Starting Smart and Strong efforts. Other early childhood education and health resources for children ages 0 to 5 are made possible through our partnerships with Educare California at Silicon Valley, Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County, FIRST 5 of Santa Clara County, State Preschools, and Head Start.