Skip To Main Content

Special Services- Special Education and Section 504


Areas of Responsibility

  • Special Education Support Staff
    • Program Specialists
    • School Psychologists
    • Speech and Language Pathologists
    • Special Education Counselors
    • Social Worker
    • Occupational Therapists
    • Behaviorists
    • Special Education Para-professionals
    • Assistive Technology Assessor (AT)
    • Augmented and Alternative Communication Systems (AAC)
  • Special Education Services Requests and Assessments
    • Private School within SCUSD
    • K-12
    • Pre-School
  • Special Education Transportation
  • Special Education Records Requests
  • Community Advisory Committee


Special Education Office Staff

Please send all assessment or records requests to 

Department Fax Number: (408) 568-6703

Janeen Salcido
Administrative Assistant, Special Education 
(408) 283-6052 |

Irlanda Maestaz
Student Data Technician 
(408) 283- 6155| 

Jasmine Lewis
Secretary I, Student Records
(408) 283-6055 |



What is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)?

IDEA is a federal law requiring school districts to provide a “free appropriate public education” (in English, referred to as FAPE) to eligible children with disabilities. A free appropriate public education means that special education and related services are to be provided as described in an individualized education program (in English, known as IEP) and under public supervision to your child at no cost to you.

How is my child referred to Special Education?

When you have a concern about your child’s education, it is important that you contact your child’s teacher or administrator to talk about your child and any problems you see. Staff in your school district may answer questions about your child’s education, your rights, and procedural safeguards. Also, when you have a concern, this informal conversation often solves the problem and helps to maintain open communication.


South East Consortium

The South East Consortium Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) is composed of 11 school districts in the County and the Santa Clara County Office of Education. The overall purpose of the SELPA is to ensure that quality special education programs and services are available to meet the individual needs of special education students.


After obtaining a written request from a parent or guardian, the Special Education Department will determine if an assessment is necessary. Upon receiving the written notice, the Special Education Department will respond within 15 days and include the Notice of Procedural Safeguards (English, Spanish, Vietnamese), should the parent need more information.

Procedural Safeguards (English)

Procedural Safeguards (Spanish)

Procedural Safeguards (Vietnamese)

Prioritizing Diverse Student Needs Pla

Under the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), the Franklin-McKinley School District has an obligation to provide a free, appropriate public education (FAPE) to each student within its jurisdiction who is a qualified, disabled person within the meaning of Section 504. In order to qualify for a Section 504 plan, students must have a physical or mental disability which substantially limits a major life activity.

Each FMSD school has a staff member who is the 504 Coordinator. To contact the 504 Coordinator, you may contact your child's school directly or you may request the information from the Student Wellness & Support Services Office at (408) 283-6092.

If you have questions about 504 Plans or would like to request a review for assessment, please contact the Director of Early and Elementary Education at (408) 283-6094 or

504 Complaint Form  
English                                     Spanish                                  Vietnamese

Parents Rights  
English                                       Spanish                               Vietnamese  

                                      STUDENT WELLNESS & SUPPORT SERVICES OFFICE 
Contact Person Title                Phone Number
 Jennifer Klassen Director (408) 283-6094