Skip To Main Content

2023 Employee Benefits

2023 Open Enrollment The 2023 Open Enrollment is from October 17 through November 4, 2022.  FMSD is providing the online tool BenefitBridge for you to make changes to Kaiser, UnitedHealthcare, Delta Dental and VSP plans.  You can use BenefitBridge to upload original documents, add or remove a dependent(s), verify current health plans and waive health benefits.  Please note that verification documents are required to add dependents. We are recommending that all employees register for BenefitBridge at even if you are not making changes to your health plan benefits. This includes employees waiving medical health benefits. Registering allows you to ensure all your information is accurate.  Click here for BenefitBridge registration information.

The Annual Health Fair was held on Thursday, October 20, 2022, from 1 pm to 5 pm in the Boardroom at Franklin-McKinley School District - District Services Center.  Kaiser and UnitedHealthcare (UHC) have presented their plans at the 2023 Health Fair; please click the following links for the presentations.  
2023 Kaiser Presentation  
2023 UHC Presentation  

If you have questions, please contact Lolita Castillo by email at or by phone at 408-283-6029.

Waiver Form

Waiver Forms  are required for all employees waiving medical health benefits.  If you want to continue receiving dental and vision through the district, but not medical, you are still required to fill out a waiver form. (You will still receive dental and vision benefits).

Monthly Premiums

You can click here for the monthly premium contribution for all plans offered from January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2023.

Kaiser Plans

We are happy to report the Employee monthly premiums remain the same for 2023 benefit year.  The premium paid by this group is approximately the same level as in 2019.  Please click on this link for a summary and description of the Kaiser Plans .  Kaiser benefits include the Traditional HMO Plan and the Kaiser HSA , Health Savings Account (HSA) Salary Reduction.

UnitedHealthcare Plans

Under the UHC HMO Harmony Plans (formerly called the “Canopy” or “Limited” Plans) and Signature Value Network Plans (formerly called the “Full Network”) premiums paid by employees remain the same. The UHC PPO/HSA plan premiums paid by Certificated and Management increased.  Please click on this link for a summary and description of the plans  United Health Care Plans   Health Savings Account (HSA) Salary Reduction.

Delta Dental

The district offers a High and a Low Dental Plan. The premium for the Low Dental plan option is covered by the district at 100%.  Employees choosing the High Dental plan for the 2023 benefit year, must make a commitment to remain in the High plan for at least two years. Employees who are currently in the High plan have the option to move to the Low plan or remain in the High plan. Employees choosing to remain in the High plan will also have to make a two year commitment to remain in the High plan starting January 1, 2023.


The Premiums for VSP is covered by the district at 100%.


Employees wanting to continue in the PayFlex program or enroll for the first time are required to fill out a New Enrollment Form  per IRS regulations.  Enrollment forms are attached and also available from Lolita Castillo in Benefits. Debit cards will be reactivated each year with the new elected amount.

PayFlex is an IRS driven program covering healthcare and dependent care.  It allows employees to have a certain amount of money taken out of their check on a pre-tax basis to cover certain eligible expenses such as co-pays, dental costs, glasses, and certain over-the-counter drugs. In the dependent care portion, costs such as babysitters and in-home care are covered.  Under the Commuter Account, employees can put aside money for transportation and parking expenses.

Professional Growth Credits

Classified employees of the Franklin-McKinley School District who work 4 hours or more per day are eligible for Professional Growth Credit. Article XXI of the CSEA contract outlines the procedures for receiving Professional Growth. Classes/workshops are to be pre-approved by completing the Classified Application for Professional Growth Credit and submitting it to Human Resources for Committee approval. If you have any questions you may contact Human Resources at 408-283-6018.

Classified Professional Growth Application

Paid Sick Leave for Temporary or Substitute Employees

Any temporary or substitute employee who works for 30 or more days within a year of his/her employment shall be entitled to one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked. Such employees may begin to use accrued paid sick leave as they are accrued. Accrued paid sick days shall carry over to the following year of employment, up to a maximum of 48 hours. (Labor Code 246)

A temporary or substitute employee may use accrued sick leave for absences due to:

The diagnosis, care, or treatment of an existing health condition of, or preventative care for, the employee or his/her family member as defined in Labor Code 245.5

Need of the employee to obtain or seek any relief or medical attention specified in Labor Code 230 (c) and 230.1 (a) for the health, safety, or welfare of the employee, or his/her child, when the employee has been a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. 

No employee shall be denied the right to use accrued sick days and the District shall not in any manner discriminate or retaliate against any employee for using or attempting to use sick leave, filing a complaint with the Labor Commissioner, or alleging to use sick leave, filing a complaint with the Labor Commissioner, or alleging District violation of Labor Code 245-249. The Superintendent or designee shall display a poster containing the required information, provide a notice to eligible employees of their sick leave rights, keep records of employees' use of sick leave for three years, and comply with other requirements specified in Labor Code 245-249. 

Directions on how to use Paid Sick Leave accrued time:

Substitute Absence Request Form for Classified Staff

Substitute Absence Request Form for Certificated Staff

Come into the HR Office and complete the Substitute Absence Request Form for the paid sick leave time used.