Every child should grow up healthy and ready for school. Transitional Kindergarten (TK) gives our youngest students a head start in instruction and provides them with an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs.
2020-2021 School Year Information
TK is offered for free and is the first of a two-year kindergarten experience for children turning 5 years old between September 2, 2020 and January 31, 2021. Educare TK4 is open to any child turning 5 years old between February 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021.
Enroll your child in TK today by:
Why TK for Your Child?
You want the best for your children. Why not set them up for success from the start? TK is an extra year of schooling for children who are not eligible for kindergarten (children must turn 5 prior to September 1 to enroll in kindergarten). TK ensures our youngest learners build skills and experiences they need to be successful in kindergarten while giving them an opportunity to learn academically through meaningful play. TK helps students improve self-confidence, form better relationships with other children and adults, and achieve greater success in school and life. In fact, students who participate in TK are more likely to graduate from college than those who do not.
TK enrollment at Franklin-McKinley School District requires the following:
As a result of COVID-19 and the current Shelter in Place, our school offices remain closed until further notice. There are several documents that will need to be provided to your child's school but are not required to submit via our online enrollment at this time. Your child's school will be in contact with you once our schools open to collect the remaining documentation for enrollment.
Here is a list of documents that will be required once our schools open:
- Proof of Age: Birth/Baptismal Certificate/Passport/Military ID
- Proof of Required Immunizations:
- Polio (4 Series)
- Pertussis (DTP, DTaP): 5 Series
- Mumps and Rubella (MMR): 2 Series of each
- Hepatitis B (HepB): 3 Series
- Varicella (Chicken pox): 1 Dose
- TB Test (PPD): Must be given and read with 18 months prior to entry of kindergarten (after March 2014). A complete record of date given, date read, and results.
- Proof of Residence: PG&E bill, rental/lease agreement, driver’s license, etc.
- Physical and Dental Examination: Must be given starting March 2015, and the verification of exam must be signed, stamped, and dated by the doctor or clinic.
- Guardianship Verification: If your student is not residing with either parent, court documentation or a public notarized verification for guardianship is required.
Early Learning at Franklin-McKinley
At Franklin-McKinley School District, we believe students deserve a high quality early learning experience from birth. For more information or questions, contact Sandra Mendoza, Early Learning Liaison, at 408-283-6039.
Starting Smart and Strong
Funded by the Packard Foundation, and made possible by partnerships throughout our community, Starting Smart and Strong is our shared, long-term commitment to ensure that every child in San Jose grows up healthy and ready for kindergarten. Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is one example of our Starting Smart and Strong efforts. Other early childhood education and health resources for children ages 0 to 5 are made possible through our partnerships with Educare California at Silicon Valley, Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County, FIRST 5 of Santa Clara County, State Preschools, and Head Start.