Accessing Mental Health through your medical insurance provider
By Insurance Provider: Anthem Blue Cross
- Call your medical insurance provider. The phone number is usually found on the back of your ID card.
- Ask about Mental Health Counseling benefits available through your medical insurance policy.
- Ask about the number of counseling sessions covered through your policy per calendar year.
- Ask about any co-pay amounts due in connection with each counseling session you attend.
- Ask for a referral to Mental Health providers in your area.
- Review the list and select your top 3-5 picks.
- Complete an internet search on each pick and narrow it down to your top 2 picks.
- Contact your top choices to ask about current openings for new clients and schedule an appointment with them.
Call Confidential Health Line at 1-866-621-0043 and a behavioral health care professional will review your coverage and help you access your benefits to the fullest extent.
Blue Shield of California
Call Member Services at (855) 256-9404 or search online at www.blueshieldca.com under “Mental Health Caregivers” as the doctor type and then select “Search Blue Shield of California Network”.
Call the number on the back of your card or go to https://www.healthnet.com and click on Provider Search- Find a Doctor to locate a mental health provider in your area.
Santa Clara County Medi-Cal
Call the Santa Clara County Mental Health Services Call Center at 1-800-704-0900. The Call Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For Kaiser Members-Behavioral Health at Kaiser is a self-referral dept. AnyKaiser members can call their local Psychiatry departments and ask toschedule an appt with a therapist.
If members don’t have the direct line for their local KP Psychiatry dept, they can call the main hospital number andget transferred directly to the clinic. All Psychiatry calls are managed locally,not by regional call centers. This is the most expedient way for ourmembers to access mental health services. In many cases, they will get atelephone assessment either same day or next day, and then get connected to services.
Santa Clara Main Number (408) 366-4400
San Jose Main Number (408) 972-3095
Mainline Member Services at 1-800-464-4000 to look into your benefits.