Franklin-McKinley School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Board Meeting on February 11, 2020 at 8:00 pm in the Board Room.
Español Việt Nam

Measure HH Senior Parcel Tax Exemption Information

On November 8, 2016, voters approved a special Parcel Tax assessment of $72 per parcel for nine years. These funds will help:

  • Enhance academic programs in reading, math, and science
  • Expand counseling and tutoring programs for at-risk students
  • Improve student access to computers and modern technology
  • Bring back performing arts and music programs for Kindergarten-6th grade
  • Maintain small class sizes
  • Maintaining or expanding performing arts and music programs
The Parcel Tax is assessed against each parcel of taxable land within the FMSD boundaries. A parcel is defined as any unit of land in the District that now receives a separate tax bill from the Santa Clara County Assessor’s Office. Read the Resolution Calling an Election for Voter Approval of an Education Parcel Tax.

Senior Exemption

Exemption from the FMSD Parcel Tax is available to all senior citizens 65 years or older who live in the Franklin-McKinley School District and reside in their home. Click here for the 2019-2020 Senior Exemption Form.

Senior homeowners may be exempted on an annual basis upon application to the District. To qualify, a homeowner must be 65 years of age or older and be the owner-occupant of the property.

A senior applying for an exemption needs to bring proof of residence to the Business Services Department at the District Service Center and fill out the Senior Citizen Exemption Form. You can refer to the Senior Citizen Information Sheet to answer many of your questions. A senior who is housebound should call (408) 283-6020 and a form will be mailed to them.  Completed forms can be emailed to:

Contiguous Exemption

The contiguous parcel exemption allows a property owner to combine adjacent parcels (parcels that share a common border) into one taxable unit. These combined parcels must also have the same primary purpose (i.e., a residence, a business, vacant land, etc.). Property owners need to complete the Application for Contiguous Parcel Exemption and bring the form to the Business Services Department.

How do I remain on the Senior Exemption List?

Once your application is processed, you are exempt for the remainder of the parcel tax term. You will receive a letter annually to verify occupancy. Sign and return the letter to remain on the Senior Exemption List.

Questions or Comments?

If you have any questions please contact Otilia Enriquez, Executive Assistant to Assistant Superintendent of Business Services, at (408) 283-6020 or email her at